The mission of the DeKalb School of the Arts is to provide the highest quality education possible through academics and the arts.
History and Enrollment
After touching the lives of over 1000 students for 14 years, as the DeKalb Center for Performing Arts (DCPA), the magnet program housed at Avondale High School was expanded to a stand-alone high school in 1999. In 2009, DSA moved back to the Avondale High School (now closed) campus. The current enrollment is 330 students in grades 9-12.
Each year graduating students are awarded numerous scholarships for their post-secondary education.
The graduates of DCPA and DSA have matriculated at prestigious universities such as:
- Berklee College of Music
- Georgia Tech
- Notre Dame
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Georgia
- Wake Forest
Our Alumni Foundation is involved in our school and can be found HERE.
A Comprehensive Education
DSA provides each student with a comprehensive education inclusive of special knowledge and experience in the arts and develops the discipline, appreciation and achievement necessary for student’s academic, professional and personal goals. In addition to a full complement of academic subjects, students are offered drama, dance, vocal and instrumental music, visual arts, video technology, creative writing, multimedia and design & production. A large number of students participate in the gifted, advanced, and advanced placement programs of study.
Students must have:
- cumulative GPA of 80%
- no grade lower than 71
- meet promotion requirements for certain classes
- audition in two arts disciplines for fall placement only.
- interview with the faculty
- submit a total of four written recommendations from teachers (two arts and two academic)
- must maintain the admission requirements to remain in the program
- required to earn a minimum of two production credits a year
Visit Our Admissions Page HERE