Dual Enrollment (DE) is a wonderful opportunity for students to obtain college credits while still in high school. Essentially, they receive DUAL credit: one credit at both the high school and college levels for an accepted course. On the high school side, these courses are weighted as an AP course would be.
In the past, DSA students were encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity during the summer because the arts schedule does not allow for students to be able to leave campus and go to the college. Because of an increased interest in the DE program, students interested in taking courses during the school year should see Dr. Morgan! There are some criteria which apply, including the fact that students must take at least three core classes and two electives at DSA. Remaining courses (up to 3) may be taken through DE. If a course is taken in the Fall, one must be taken in the Spring as well to balance the student's schedule.
DISCLAIMER: Online collegiate coursework does not afford students the opportunities that face to face classrooms do. Interaction with actual college students and professors is a major benefit of the DE program that DSA students will be missing!
Students should complete the following steps in order to participate in Dual Enrollment:
- Identify a college they are interested in attending
- Search that college/university site for Dual Enrollment criteria
- Apply using that college/university's platform for applying (i.e. Comm App, Coalition, etc.) BEFORE THEIR DEADLINE. Please refer to the college/university's webiste for ALL school specific information, such as deadlines.
- Take the SAT/ACT/or acceptable entrance exam
- Complete the Parent/Student Participation Agreement Form
- Participation Agreement: Georgia State University - Perimeter College (most commonly used) http://filecabinet3.eschoolview.com/2FEC63E7-4AD8-4C38-A695-15ECCC11369B/2018_DE_Student_Participation_AgreementGSU.pdf
- Participation Agreement - General: http://filecabinet3.eschoolview.com/2FEC63E7-4AD8-4C38-A695-15ECCC11369B/2018_MOWR_Student_Participation_Agreement.pdf
- Once accepted, meet with Dr. Morgan regarding potential coursework and so she can complete her part of the Agreement, which includes your schedule. This meeting should be scheduled prior to Spring Break for Summer and Fall semesters. For Spring semester, the deadline is the last Friday of October! These are internal deadlines and DO differ from the college! Please email her at Tequila_T_Morgan@dekalbschoolsga.org to schedule your meeting.
- Submit the completed form to the college (preferably in person).
- Complete your STARS application for funding and EMAIL DR. MORGAN once completed.
- If course is taken, ensure that DSA receives your official transcript from the college!
Remember, students are creating their college transcript while still in high school. These grades will have to be reported to any future college or university to which the student applies!